So today is the deadline to register to vote- have you? (Click here to go straight to the site)
I’ll be voting and I don’t mind telling you that, as always, I will be voting Labour- I have many, many reasons why but this post isn’t a party political one- it is an urgent one.
I URGE you to vote.
Of course I’d love you to vote the same way as me but who you choose to vote for is none of my business, that’s between you and the ballot box BUT for all of our sakes, VOTE.
If you really need a reason to do it, here are 10…
- It’s free- you’re not charged for putting your X in the box.
- We are lucky to have to right to vote- so many people around the globe are disenfranchised. And I’m not just talking about in 3rd World countries either- did you know that in many USA states you must have photo ID to vote? Just imagine how many people this caveat excludes! This is something that could quite easily happen here too if some of the rumours are to be believed!
- No right to complain- your vote is your voice! If you don’t use it to have your say then do you really have a right to complain about what the government does?
- Have a say in where your hard earned cash goes- this is your chance to dictate where your taxes are spent. Yes, I appreciate you can’t just say ‘I want my money to go to the NHS’ but you can weigh up the manifesto pledges and decide which best matches your desires.
- The sense of righteousness- how can you be smug if you don’t vote!
- You don’t live in a dictatorship- Democracy shouldn’t be taken for granted! As futile as people think they are, the House of Lords often acts as our buffer against a dictatorship’ish (YES it’s a word!!!!) leadership. What if none of this existed here though? Could you imagine if you were just told what to do and how to live your life all of the time?
- People literally died to give it to you- do I really need to go over this again?! Especially you ladies out there- click here to find out more in a very child-friendly manner.
- Representing your age group- under 35’s are traditionally the most underrepresented age-group in the UK voting system and they are often the subject of some of the most ruthless policies- I wonder how the politicians get away with that? Oh yeah…. you don’t register to vote!
- It’s quick- LITERALLY TAKES 2 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!
- You count- don’t be fooled into thinking your vote won’t make a difference- even if you have no desire to vote for any party, leave your ballot blank and pop it in that box- YOU COUNT!!!
So, in conclusion-VOTE!!!!!!
I’ve tried hard to convince you but now its down to you!
See you on the other-side of May,
Mrs T Xx